Injuries Board, formerly the Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB), is the independent government body which assesses the amount of compensation due to a person who has suffered a personal injury*.

All personal injury* claims in Ireland, except for cases involving medical negligence, must be submitted to the board, which provides an independent assessment of personal injury* claims for compensation following road traffic, workplace or public liability accidents.

However, it will only get involved where the person responsible is not disputing liability and agrees to assessing the claim for compensation.

On average, claims are assessed within seven months of consent being given by the respondent, medical evidence is examined and a decision is made regarding damages due, which are subject to set guideline amounts.

Where Hennessy & Perrozzi Solicitors Can Help

If the respondent does not agree to an assessment by or if either side rejects the board’s award, the matter can then be referred to the courts.

When you issue a claim through the injuries board and receive an authorisation from them, if you are not happy with an assessment of your claim, you are entitled to pursue a claim through the courts and you have six months to issue proceedings, from the date an authorisation is received.

Alternatively, if the board reject dealing with the matter, again you can pursue a claim through the courts and once more have six months from the date an authorisation is received to issue proceedings.

At the same time,  if a you issue a claim to the injuries board and obtain an assessment from the Injuries Board, you should always seek advice from a solicitor as to whether the assessment is adequate for the injury sustained.

Hennessy & Perrozzi Solicitors • Burgundy House, Forster Way, Swords, Co Dublin, Ireland
• Phone: 01-8901888 • Fax: 01-8901904 • DX: 91 012 SWORDS •
© Hennessy & Perrozzi Solicitors 2012

*In contentious business, a Solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.